What Causes Thyroid Disorders?
The many causes of thyroid disorders include:
- Iodine Deficiency
- Autoimmune Disease
- Viral and bacterial inflammation causing thyroiditis (subacute thyroiditis)
- Familial Disorders
- Nodules which have formed on the Thyroid Gland
- Benign and Malignant (cancer) tumours on the Thyroid Gland
Are Thyroid Disorders Common?
- Ten times more women than men worldwide will be diagnosed with some form of thyroid disorder.
- Thyroid disorders, especially hypothyroidism - or an underactive thyroid, becomes more common as we grow older.
- Iodine Deficiency has re-emerged in Australia and we can expect more people to suffer from swelling and enlargement of the thyroid gland, also know as a 'Goitre'.